16 December 2009

Widgets

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. (Henry David Thoreau, from “Walden”)

I recently gave a fishing talk at the Thoreau School in Concord MA for the Cub Scouts. I discussed where to fish in and around Concord, what fish they might catch, and what tackle to use. Prior to the meeting I drove around Concord and photographed Walden Pond, the Concord River, Whites Pond and a bunch of other fishing locations in and around Concord. I included the photos in the presentation. In the auditorium where I spoke there were a number of Thoreau quotes stenciled on the walls which are included with the photos at this link. Most of the quotes were from Thoreau’s book “Walden”. This inspired me to get a copy from the library and read it again. In addition to the quote used in the title of this blog post the one that follows is another of my favorites that is related to fishing. “Time is but a stream I go a-fishing in”.

I subsequently went and said hello to Henry at his resting place in Sleepy Hollow cemetery (photo included at link above) and told him how much I enjoyed his writings, especially his books “Walden” and “Cape Cod”.

No comments: