27 January 2013

Widgets

Greetings from the Keys


I posted a few pictures from a recent trip Sue and I took to the Florida Keys. We didn’t actually do much fishing. It was more of a scouting and social trip and a chance to get away from the cold weather. Of course I hit most of the tackle shops between Islamorada and Key West. A dangerous thing to do with credit cards in your wallet. I always seem to be able to find some widget used in the local area that I want to try in the northeast. I also bought a cool Calcutta backpack that holds four storage trays and a bunch of other gear. It’s well made and has padded straps and an internal frame so the weight of the backpack is well distributed between your shoulders and lower back.
 
While we were there I firmed up a four day fly fishing trip for tarpon in April/May. My sons Bill and John are going with me and we’ll be fishing with Captain Jeremy Fisher of Fisher Guide Service (www.fisherguide.com) out of Islamorada and staying at the Blue Fin Inn which is within walking distance to his boat slip at Roland Martin’s compound on the Gulf side.
 
We also visited Bud & Mary’s in Islamorada which is another great place to stay but their houseboats were booked up for when we’ll be returning at the end of April. Nothing better that staying on a houseboat on a channel to the Atlantic and watching the Tarpon swim by in the evening. If anyone needs suggestions on tackle shops, guides, or accommodations in the Islamorada or Marathon area let me know.

No comments: